Thomas D. Weddell, CPA
845.567.9000 Ext. 242
Tom joined the firm in September 1978 and became a Partner in January 1984. His dedication to his clients and his outstanding mentoring ability to his team led Tom to become a Partner in the firm just 6 short years after he was hired. Tom has been serving as the Managing Partner since July 1996 and has 30 years of significant auditing, accounting, tax, and business development experience.
In addition to being the Managing Partner of the Firm, Tom is also the partner-in-charge of the Audit Department and is ultimately responsible for every audit performed by the Firm. Tom’s industry experience includes, but is not limited to, transportation, manufacturing, non-profit, and wholesale, retail, and distribution.
- Mid Hudson Chapter of the New York State Society of CPAs – Past President
- New York State Society of CPAs (NYSSCPA) – Chapter Representative
- SUNY New Paltz School of Business Advisory Board – Board Member – Chair of Governance Nominating Committee
- Orange County Citizens Foundation – Past Chairman of the Board, Board of Directors
- Greater Southern Dutchess Chamber of Commerce – Past Chairman of the Board
- Mid Hudson Pattern for Progress – Board of Directors
- Orange County Community Foundation – Founding Member – Past Board of Directors – Finance Committee
- United Way of Orange County – Board of Directors, Campaign Chair 2007 & 2008
- The Chamber Foundation – Past Chairmen
- The Powelton Club, Newburgh – Chairman Elect, Board Member, Treasurer
- Empire State Bank – Board of Directors, Audit Committee Chair
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA) – Member
- Town of Newburgh Volunteer Ambulance Corp. – Treasurer
- Leadership Dutchess – Past Chairman of Committee – Current Committee Member
- United Way of Dutchess & Orange County – Campaign Committee Member
- Dutchess County Regional Chamber of Commerce – Board Member, Consolidation Committee Chairmen
- National Purple Heart Hall of Honor – Board Member, Treasurer
SUNY Albany – Bachelor of Science in Accounting
University of Chicago – Graduate School of Business Program
Results Accountants Systems School of Business Development – Graduate
Dale Carnegie Training – Graduate
Leadership Orange – Graduate
- Business development consulting
- Financial statements and tax returns
- Tax planning
- Internal controls and procedures advice
- Best practices ideas
- Industry benchmarking
- Board development and governance
- Development of alternative revenue sources
There are many examples of Tom’s influence as a board leader to build stronger non-profits
and the communities they serve. A recent example of this was the merger of the two Dutchess County Chambers. Tom was the key board leader and visionary for the merger of the Greater Southern Dutchess Chamber of Commerce with the Dutchess County Regional Chamber of Commerce, as well as the two 501(c)(3) Foundations, which proved to be a major and important step for the community. It was not an easy affiliation as there was real estate debt involved that many thought were insurmountable, membership issues, and; of course, plenty of parochial politics. Tom personally put his good name and reputation on the line to tackle the toughest of issues. As Chair of two of the boards, Tom very effectively carried out his fiduciary obligations to those organizations during the intense and complicated multi-level negotiating process while maintaining an unwavering vision as to what needed to be done in the community’s interest. He was the leader, the driver of and linchpin of the process, who worked closely with NYCON’s professional team to not only ensure that the two sets of mergers happen but that stronger and more sustainable organizations emerged.
Orange County Citizens Foundation – Tom oversaw the financial aspects of certain changes and developed a clear financial reporting and budgeting guideline, which are still in place today. This has helped the Orange County Citizens Foundation remain solvent. In 2007 Tom was instrumental in publishing a well-researched and complete Quality of Life Report for Orange County.
SUNY New Paltz School of Business – Tom has recruited student interns and graduates from regional colleges, keeping educated and talented individuals in our community, and leading them in their career growth. As a result of his financial support, educational opportunities are now being offered to students that would have not been possible otherwise.
The Chamber Foundation, Inc. (founded by the Greater Southern Dutchess Chamber of Commerce – Leadership Dutchess) has been a community institution since it’s inception in 1989. Its goal is to give participants a better understanding of community needs and ultimately to play an important role in the growth and development of their home county. Tom devised a friendly competition between two other 10 month leadership classes – Leadership Orange and Leadership Sullivan. The goal was to see which class could raise the most money. The three competitors raised over $42,000 and the monies were shared by not-for-profit organizations in the Leadership classes’ respective communities..
Leadership Orange Award 2008.
2009 United Way of Orange County Marion S. Murphy, Neighbors Helping Neighbors Award recipient.
2011 Michael H. Urbach Community Builder Award
2012 Ruth & James Ottaway Medal Recipient